Guilty

Guilty © 6/27/2008 Bob Mullany

He approached, and you rejected him politely
He took it well, he'd felt the need to play the game
It's a dilemma that you clearly deal with often
I see them circle you like moths drawn to the flame
The truth is, I can understand completely
Their desire to acquire such a prize
And why they'd gladly hazard immolation
As they seek some validation in your eyes.

Some look to change their fortune in the future
Where they'll come to face this mortal world anew
With good karma, they'll enjoy a higher station
Or at least life from a better point of view
I'm content to take my pleasure where I find it
In this flawed and fickle life I've come to know
I thank you for the kindness that you've shown me
I feel blessed to call you friend, as you well know

Your virtues captivate me quite completely
But I accept the cruel capriciousness of fate
My misfortune's to've been born a little early
Plus I'm not the kind of guy you'd choose to date
Love's something we can't understand completely
The word is battered or banal or it's just abused
But I love you as a friend who values friendship
If that's a sin, then I stand guilty as accused.

1 comment:

  1. "If all the world hated you and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved of you and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends."
    -Charlotte Bronte

    ReplyDelete