For The Lover Who Left Me Tonight

For the Lover Who Left Me Tonight

Bob Mullany © 1974

Walking the rain-shiny streets,
And it’s quite nearly fright’nin’
Hey, Mr. Moonlight, where are you,
Won’t you bring me some gold ?
Just street light, and shadow, and street light,
And occasional lightning
Between late in the evening
And early next morning, and cold…

I wish there was someplace called home now
That I could go home to
With someone to hold me, and love me,
And say its all right
There are lovers a stone’s throw away
From these streets that I roam through
With my sorrowful song for the lover who left me tonight

I hear the night train,
Somewhere in the distance its rumbling
Do you hear the whisper
Of some new love’s voice in your ear ?
I gambled on love and I lost,
And now my world’s crumbling
How could I throw away
Everything I held so dear ?

What’s done has been done,
And I know I’m the one who was wrong now
And I wish I could turn back the clock
And make everything right
But lessons come hard to a fool,
And here’s where I belong now
With my sorrowful song
For the lover who left me tonight
With my sorrowful song
For the lover who left me tonight.

1 comment:

  1. "A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for."
    -W. C. Fields

    ReplyDelete