My War

My War © 1993 Bob Mullany

 It's been twenty years now since my war was done
And I returned from the hysteria to Michigan
I remember well the welcome home I had
One old friend from high school and my mom and dad


Dad, he had a job on the assembly line
And soon after I returned he helped to get me mine
And so I went to work and I got through the day
But inside of six months I blew it all away


There's this wound, it doesn't heal
And it left this hole in me
And the drugs and alcohol, they took their toll on me
I'd spent too much time a world away from here
And I'm still paying for the "privilege" of that golden year


Now, adrift among the dispossessed, I mark the time
With a string of doomed relationships and petty crimes
And any dreams I may have nurtured have been blown away
By the minefields in my mind where all the nightmares stray


Yes, I'm bitter still, though I still have my pride
And a respect for life from one who's seen so many die
And, though I may be down, I know I can survive
'Cause I've been through hell before and I came out alive


Now, I hope you'll listen well now to the words I say
Though the mere mention of defeat may make you turn away
All you mother's sons may not know wrong from right
But if they send you off to war make sure as hell they get it right


'Cause it's been twenty years now since my war was done
And I call it my war though I never wanted one
No one seems to claim it except to place the blame
In the name of my fallen friends I accept it without shame

1 comment:

  1. "And it's one, two, three, what are we fightin' for ?
    Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
    Next stop is Vietnam !
    And it's five, six, seven,
    Open up the pearly gates,
    Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
    Whoopee! we're all gonna die."
    -Country Joe McDonald

    ReplyDelete